Sunday, April 06, 2008

Khairy Jamaluddin: fact or fiction


I'm been keeping alot of things to myself, and one of them is my 'conversations' with Khairy- the son-in-law of Badawi and Rembau MP.

I dunno how he can single-handedly dominate the incredible amount of rumours here and there, and everyone seems to know what he's up to even though they never met him or heard from him talking on the TV etc. So, my curiosity piqued, I decided to post some questions to the man himself.

And here are excerpts of answers to some of my questions:
Me: I have one pressing question on my mind: Can you tell me what really happened in Rembau on the voting day (with the recount and postal votes)?

KJ: I can categorically state that there was NEVER a recount for any of the seats (parliament or DUN). In fact, the recount rumour was a deliberate attempt to spread disinformation that would discredit the final result.
I was at main polling centre the whole night and as the results came in from the different polling centres (peti undi), there was never at any point a need for a recount at the main centre where the results from all the streams (saluran) were collated. Whether or not there were recounts at the individual peti undi or saluran I am not sure but at no point was the main election result disputed since I won with a majority in excess of 5,000 votes on first (and only) count.
I know there is an urban legend now making its rounds saying that I lost by a couple of hundred votes then suddenly won by 5,000 plus in the recount (during which the lights may or may not have gone off), but none of that happened.
My challenger, Badrul, was not even present at the main polling centre where the results were announced. Were it true that he won and I lost or that there was a recount, you would think that he would be there for the announcement. But at no time did he show up.
As for the postal votes, there was nothing strange there either. I can't remember off hand but I think my majority from the postal votes was only about 500 so even without that I would have won. Plus, the postal vote results were among the first things the EC announced that night so there is no truth the allegation that postal votes suddenly showed up at the last minute to swing it for me.

Me: But are literally all the rumours surrounding you a complete farce then? I'm asking this on a personal basis cuz I'm curious (sometimes too curious). So like, you don't broker contracts at all...you have no influence with politicians etc? People don't try to get to your father-in-law through you? I thought it was a given with quite alot of politicians (getting contracts through, etc).

KJ: I think its safe to say that 99% of the rumours you hear about me are false or inaccurate. People hear things from people who have heard something from someone else. After a while the information gets distorted.
Many people see me for many different things. Some ask if I can help get their kids a scholarship. Some ask if they get a contract to build a university. My job is not to turn them away. Instead I listen but I don't promise anything. At best, I would just forward their requests to the relevant ministry/agency.
People expect me to bring things up to the PM. They think I can help them broker deals. They go to ministries and drop my name. Ministry officials who want to pass the buck tell businessmen that I am the only person who can help with government projects. So a myth is created. But the truth is, I don't do such things.
I am an opponent of this feudal game of patronage that has been created over the last two decades by you-know-whom. But now, I find myself as the poster boy for sleaze because of all the disinformation that's been circulating.I wish somebody would come forward with a concrete allegation so that matters can be clarified. Unfortunately its all innuendos, half-truths and spurious allegations. But once a myth is created, every little bit of falsehood feeds the legend which grows, grows and grows!

Well, that was in the words of the guy himself. Maybe your first reaction is 'yeah right, what bulls***' but think about it. If you're a Malaysian, you should know; aren't we all so good at spreading rumours? How many sms-es you received about some fuel prices rising tomorrow la, some fwd email about stuff happening la, and Mahathir saying on YouTube he admitted to throwing Anwar in jail when it was a speech taken out of context. And you believed them? So what makes stories about Khairy any different, when there isn't evidence? Think about it. I'm not for or against him, I just want people to think.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I totally agree with you. I do hope they think rather than accepting 'membuta tuli' right?

N. Hanie Kamil said...

TOTALLY AGREE WITH 'SWAN'!!!!! PERIOD!

Sarah/Suan Mei said...

haha well, alot of people are still skeptical of him la and I can understand that, given that sentiments these days are not very pro-govt (no thanks to all the scandals surfacing). I had a tough time convincing some of my frens not to just believe everything out there.

N. Hanie Kamil said...

Exactly!Typical Malaysian culture! Rumor mongers and uneducated believers! They just THRIVE on any little detail be it half truth or nay whatsoever...shisssshhhh!Thk God I not Typicalllll..

N. Hanie Kamil said...

Oooops typo error! I mean...Thk God I m not Typicallll...hehehe

Anonymous said...

can I stay on the fence? or was it even worse than giving him the benefit of the doubt or anti him?

Anonymous said...

if its safe to assume 99% of the rumours are false, then by his definition, 1% is true. now if the rumours are true and he does hold as much sway as they say, 1% of all the money he supposedly makes is still a lot of money and corrupt money at that.

so KJ, i think you've got to set the bar higher. or increase your grip on society ala Machiavelli, whom you so madly admire.

Anonymous said...

"Khairy Jamaluddin is a clean person" as North Korea is a "Democratic People's Republic".

I forgot to add that ;)

N. Hanie Kamil said...

What makes Mr Marc Jitab so sure that 1% of KJ's 'money supposedly is corrupt'? Does he have proof and has he seen KJ's bank balance? Hearsay all over again!Only comment when you have black and white proof!!!! Why do Malaysian especially,thrive on rumours? Shissshhhh!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Kamil, likewise, YOU have to look at HIS bank balance before concluding his money is clean. Which you (assumedly) don't have access to (which would be illegal if you obtained it against KJ's behest).

I'm quoting KJ when he said "99% of what you hear about me (the rumours) are false".

Those rumours claim corruption, cronyism, among other things. Therefore if 1% is true, then it's dirty money, no matter how big or small the amount. Get the drift, Kamil? Or perhaps you don't, because I already spelt it out clearly in the last comment.

Which goes to prove, you can't rationalise with a person who didn't arrive to a rationalised conclusion in the first place.

N. Hanie Kamil said...

BTW its not MR. KAMIL!!!! ITS MS! Get it MR JITABBBB????? Until anyone has prove than you should just shut up too? Again you are speculating...just because he said 1% of the rumours is true..... AGAIN you said'then its dirty money'!!! Get the Drift too JITAB??? You want me to spell it out to you too? What is with this MONEY issue? This will be my last comment to yours! I have no time anymore to waste on 'poor' people like yourself! Go and get a life???? are you even a Malaysian citizen???? If you are not then go and look into your own 'corrupt?' politicians! Have a NICE day!!!!!

Anonymous said...

lol, ok "ms." kamil. but you wanted to get into this rut in the first place. i was talking about KJ when you had to go make specific accusations about me, which is again, your prerogative.

your rant conclusively proves that the majority of Malaysians are just interested in shouting at opposing viewpoints in order to drown out any dissent, and no, my earlier comment will not be my last because i want to point out to the any reader what an asinine person you are.

firstly, i never said it's definite that KJ is corrupt. i said that he only accounted for 99% of the rumours. if he cannot disprove the remainding 1% they MIGHT be true, which is the crux of my argument anyway. and if 1% of the rumours are true then KJ is suspect to a lot of really bad crap.

secondly, he did not say that 1% is true, he said 99% are untrue which leaves a very vague, unaccounted-for 1% which is what i'm talking about.

thirdly, for a person who talks about providing solid black and white evidence, you have provided none

fourthly, this "MONEY" issue involves hundreds of millions of ringgit "Ms." Kamil, and dirty money at that, and you're obviously not holding your Members of Parliament up to a high enough standard of accountability

fourthly, the only poor person in this argument is you, when your only aim is to shout your viewpoint without considering the logic behind your viewpoint. moreover, you're literally poor when you don't find the issue of money politics suspect and dubious enough to raise questions

fifthly, it does not matter if i am a Malaysian citizen to raise these points. you are committing a serious logical error in assuming that a person's viewpoint is automatically wrong considering who the person is i.e. if I'm not Malaysian, I can't be right. this is known as an 'argumentum ad hominem' which you've probably never heard before because you're such a "rich" and "deep thinking" individual

all in all, malaysians ought to strive to ask the RIGHT questions and engage in thought-out arguments whether in the real world or digital cyberspace.

carpe diem.

Sarah/Suan Mei said...

Ok people, I'm fine with debates as long as it is not personal (I don't care who started it). Argue issues, not stating stuff about each other. Personal attacks doesn't get us anywhere and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

tegur pedana menteli mat rempit ni pigi jaga motosikal dia la. aiyoyo. kenapa u pegi kawan dengan dia, nanti u juga guna motosikal dan jadi mat-ess rempit. ataupunt mat-rempitess.

Anonymous said...

personal attacks can get you to parliament....hehe.

Anonymous said...

To Mr Jitab, I understand what you said. But analysing what you have written, you seem to be a person who is very "leftist" almost to the point of being leftist for the sake of being leftist.
I don't descredit what you said about the 99% vs 1%, and personally, I don't think very highly of Khairil as well, but you are not proving your skills in logic based on carefully weighted evidence by throwing such sweeping statements as "Khairy Jamaluddin is a clean person" as North Korea is a "Democratic People's Republic". You might as well say "Khairil is as clean as Robert Mugabe." It is an unjust comparison taken completely out of context. And your style of writing, by the way, was really rather patronising.