Saturday, April 19, 2008

The things I do for my job

The assignment (a drama competition organised by Digi) was supposed to be at 1pm, but I decided to reach at 1.30pm- to avoid all the protocol etc. Now, I dunno why this happened, but upon reaching Dewan Bahasa and Pustaka (DBP) and seeing all their back entrances blocked, I thought I would go in via the front entrance but there was where I lost my way...thanks to all the construction work surrounding that place.

So. After driving around for nearly an hour and my dad frantically trying to direct me on the phone (but the roads he was talking about were blocked too), I decided to park my car at Muzium and take a taxi to DBP.

The taxi guy, Joseph, was quiet at first and then I started talking to him in Malay thinking he was Malay, (that was before I saw his name on his license) and he replied in articulate English. Then I found out he was some construction consultant, lost everything and now driving a taxi "in the meanwhile to survive". We went on talking about KL roads, contruction industry, karma, astrology and God. At times the conversation became weird when he said maybe one day I'll write his book la, asked if I'm married la because I "don't have a married woman's body."

He lost his way about once or twice, so yeah. When I reached the place, it was about...3pm or so.

My head was throbbing, I sat in the packed hall full of screaming primary school kids. To make it worse, the emcee was yelling into the mic to get the kids up and pumping and making them shout FUIYOH and watever else.

I left early, because I wanted to catch a ride from the photographer...but ended up waiting on the kerb because his friend was holding his car keys, and his friend wasn't anywhere nearby. Zzzz.

Now I'm back at the office waiting to go for a night assignment. Save me.

No comments: